As reports Hayern Aysor, correspondent for Aleppo’s Kantsasar Weekly Hovig Shehirian, gathering information from the locals, has reported that the Saint KevorK Church of the Ghnemieh village, which was liberated by the Syrian army on 21 January, was partially damaged while being under the control of armed terrorist groups.
The armed terrorists lowered the cross on the church and damaged the church hall, but the church remains standing.
Let us add that Ghnemieh was an Armenian-populated village where the Saint KevorK Armenian Apostolic Church is located and built in 1875 by the local villagers. However, according to the local elders’ testimonies, it was renovated in 1875, and the history of the church traces back to nearly 300 years.
In 1959, Archbishop Ghevond Chepeyan planned the construction of the dilapidated church. The official groundbreaking ceremony was held on 9 August 1959, and the newly built church was consecrated on 31 July 1960 by Archbishop Ghevond Chepeyan. In 1997, the cupola was renovated by the Armenian Diocese of Aleppo.